
The short version: Due to computer error, I ran 4.35 miles yesterday when I was aiming to run 3. The best part is that I ended the run bummed out because my Nike+ gadget told me I'd only gone 2.88 miles in my 42 minutes pounding the pavement- only to double check at mapmyrun.com and find out that I'd met and exceeded my goal. Sweet-o! That's one way to get to your goals faster.
So, Tyler and I started running again over Christmas vacation. It was a lot of fun. Getting started was surprisingly easy. We'd run a few miles, stretch a lot, wait a day, and then do it again. I admit we had an advantage, coming from the mile-high city, and starting our run at sea level. Our muscles gave out before our lungs ever did. (Those Redlands hills can kill ya.) This, all with the added benefit of my parents at home to watch the kids while we ran in our 70+ degree weather (hurt me).
When we came back to Colorado, we kept running together, though now with a stroller and 70 pounds worth of children in tow. Add in the careful stepping that we were doing around patches of ice or through snow, and it was slower going than in California. I was getting frustrated at my pace when I'd run and push the kids. (Sarah to self: "This not really running- it's a jog and a push, and a stop to mediate on a fight, and a pause to straigthen the wheel, and ... argh!") I could go running first thing in the morning without them, but I'm not that motivated - it's dark and literally freezing. And on it goes. So, yesterday I finally got to go in the "heat" of the day with no kids, and no early morning freezing temps.
For those who run, you might agree with me that the first 10-15 minutes of a run are the worst. It's during those minutes that I question my desires and my goals, and can think of many reasons to turn around and go home for some nice and gentle yoga, or some breakfast, or a good book. At about 20 minutes in I find my stride and reevaluate once again. Then I enjoy another 10 minutes or so of running and call it a day.
Well, I have a sweet little gadget called a Nike+ that works in conjunction with my nano. It tracks my mileage, calories burnt, time, etc. I get to listen to my ipod, and my little shoe device does the rest. Yesterday's run started like the rest - not a lot of fun. Finally, about 20 minutes into it, I pushed the button that gives me an update on my time and distance. verdict: Less than 2 miles. Shoot. I was going for a minimum of 3, and I really had a slow pace. Well, I was making up the loop as I was going, so mentally added a few more things in to get to my 3-mile goal. In the meantime, I went along, watching the clock (It's a side story - but worth telling: Liza got money from Grandma and Grandpa to pick out her own toy at the store. She'd been waiting all week to go buy her toy, which we planned to do after her Primary activity.) So, I keep running, and every once in awhile keep checking my progress. By now, I've passed my 30 minutes, but still not hit 3 miles. What the heck? I realize I've been out too long and need to get back for our shopping trip. I finish the last loop that I figured would boost me to the 3-mile mark, and hit the button for the ultimatum. 42 minutes, 2.88 miles. Seriously, was I WALKING?
I started psyching myself out that I really hadn't adjusted to the altitude, and that pushing the stroller wasn't what was slowing me down - I'm just slow. Until I remembered what a friend reported about her Nike+ when she was training for her recent half marathon. The numbers were coming back a little off. So I went to mapmyrun.com, and mapped it out again. The verdict:
4.35 miles. SWEET. How 'bout that? I was aiming for 3, and because of computer error, ended up running over that. And the numbers a little off? heck - I ran a mile and a half farther than my gadget said. (Guess it's time to re-calibrate my gadget.) So, because I have no prior shopping commitments and now realize I can do it, tomorrow I'll be doing 5 (after I map it out first, of course).
Hmmm...you have all these posts I haven't seen because my blog sidebar just said this was the newest since your bowling post. I've got to fix that or something.
ReplyDeleteAnd just so you know, you are much braver than me. There's no way I'd be setting a running goal if I had to do it outside. Vernal is FREEZING! 30 is a very very warm day (and rare). We have a beautiful treadmill that allows me the freedom of running when Ava is sleeping and Allie can watch a show with me while I run. Or I go to our rec center if I get bored by the treadmill. So basically, I think you are brave. And I hope your "gadget" works out better for you next time.
Also, I'm commenting on your Christmas baking. I cannot believe the amount that you cranked out. All those loaves of bread alone! Gosh you're crazy.
Way to go!!! Are you training for any races?
ReplyDeleteEric loves his Nike+ but has noticed that it isn't always accurate too.
ReplyDeleteLoved reading about running from your perspective. This has been completely new and difficult for me and hearing that it still proves a doable challenge for you is inspiring for me! Hopefully I'll hit some point where I run for 30 minutes straight :)
Love you guys! Oh - and happy belated birthday to Tyler! I completely forgot to call!
mapmyrun.com eh? I'm super excited to try it out. Is the Nike+ generally more accurate? I may need to looki into that.
ReplyDelete