Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me

This morning Liza came running into my room yelling, "Happy Birthday, Mom!" (My birthday was yesterday.) She went on to show me that she'd wrapped me a present. Inside was one of her dolls. "Now you can sleep with him (it's actually a girl in pink pajamas - but apparently quite masculine-looking to Liza, because she always calls her "him" - unlike the other girls who receive the appropriate pronouns - an older version of this Pottery Barn doll). "He's the softest of all, except Horton -but I sleep with him."


Now come on - a gift from the heart, yeah? Thank you, Liza. Yesterday, once they'd seen that the "birthday elves" had come (put up streamers and balloons) and it was my birthday - I had asked the kids if their gift to me could be a day of no whining or fighting. No dice.

So, on to things I could control - I decided to have a little birthday pizza party. Tyler's late night is Tuesday, and given the fact the we just returned from the aforementioned trip to Hawaii, he had a full day (though did manage to squeeze in making me the wonderful, traditional breakfast in bed).

It was the big "three - oh" as they all say, and I had been out of town - I wanted my friends to come hang out. So, a few phone calls later, a quick trip to for surprisingly good $10 pizza, and voila! Party

It was such a blast. The kids all ran around, and we spent the afternoon with friends coming and going. Before I knew it - the day was done! Sure put a new perspective on the old way to spend a birthday. (which was... - I dunno!)



oh - and no pics - too busy having fun to even think of it. Too bad - I was hair -ed and make-up -ed, and it wasn't even Sunday : )




(P.S. - Thank you to all who e-mailed, texted, called, snail mailed, oh - and sang, et.c - such fun to feel loved all day!).

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Gotta love costco's $10 pizza :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday ol' lady! Welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun day! Happy Birthday!! Welcome to your thirty's.

    p.s. Abigail has that same old Pottery Barn doll and also calls it a him. We were getting rid of excess toys the other day and she was in tears about wanting to keep her only "boy" doll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday girlie...I love your guts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah! Happy 30th! Kids can be so sweet sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry that I wasn't one of the friends you were able to thank...pathetic. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Really late, but I am so glad you were born! Thanks for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete